This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.
Home > Tourism

Tourism
YIT Mirador de Santa Ana

Avila is noted for its tall city wall which encircles the entire old city. The historic centre and the churches outside the city walls of Avila have been awarded the World Heritage designation by the UNESCO.

It is sometimes called the City of Stones and Saints, and it claims that it is one of the cities with the highest number of Romanesque and Gothic churches per capita in Spain.

Its natural treasures include particularly the Iruelas Valley Nature Reserve and the Sierra de Gredos Regional Reserve, both ideal places for rural tourism.

Walls

The walls of Avila are a military stockade created to protect the inhabitants of the city.

Built during the XII century, this walls are the most important monument of Avila, with a perimeter of more than 2500 meters and 12 meters high. It is preserved in perfect condition and has a good number of doors and arches, in addition to the best viewpoint of the city. It has three access points: the Casa de las Carnicerías (near the cathedral), the Puerta del Alcázar (Calvo Sotelo square), and the Arco del Carmen (in Ronda Vieja square), and it was declared World Heritage Site by the Unesco.

San Segundo hermitage

Belonging to the 12th century, this hermitage was declared a National Monument in 1923. It is located very close to the River Adaja and is admired for its beautiful interior with archivolts and its columns adorned with delicate capitals.

Its name is due to the reforms it underwent in 1521, when in one of its walls was found a tomb with human bones of San Segundo. This is the reason why there is a mysterious legend about this place, and, inside the hermitage there is an image of San Segundo and the tomb where his remains were found.

Dávila Palace

The Dávila Palace is a medieval complex of four houses, located in the square of Pedro Dávila. Its wonderful front and the relief of the main door of the palace stand out, representing the coat of arms of the Marquesado de las Navas, held by two savages, and at its ends two horsemen playing their trumpets.

Commissioned by Pedro Dávila, name of historical relevance, the palace mixes two architectural styles in a sublime way, as they intertwine traits of Muslim and Hispanic culture.

San Juan Bautista Church

This church of Romanesque origin, restored in the 16th century, is located on Blasco Gimeno street and you can visit it for free. In 1504 it was remodelled into a temple and its artistic and architectural value, with Gothic and Renaissance characteristics, is very important.

In this church was baptized Saint Teresa of Jesus, born in Avila, and is well known among religious for its biblical history and the baptismal font that it still preserves.